Tips for saving energy
These simple tips can help you save energy.
- In summer keep air cool by closing windows, doors, curtains and blinds.
- Use fans rather than air conditioners and set your air conditioner to between 23°C and 26°C.
- In winter reduce draughts by closing windows, doors and curtains.
- Set central heating to between 18°C and 21°C.
- Replace Halogen downlights with new LED Technology.
- Where battens exist, use compact fluorescents or LED lamps.
- Switch off appliances at the wall.
- Buy appliances with the best energy efficiency ratings that you can afford.
- Provide space for air to circulate around the fridge and ensure door seals are intact.
- Use an electric frypan, pressure cooker or microwave rather than the oven.
- Cover pots and pans to reduce cooking time.
- Only run the dishwasher when full.
Bathroom and laundry
- Use cold water where possible.
- Avoid using the clothes dryer—hang clothes instead.
- Lower the water heater thermostat to between 60°C and 65°C.
- Use your washing machine only when you have a full load.
- Select a low-flow shower head with a flow rate of less than 10 litres per minute.
- During the design phase, consider reducing the size and volume of your pool.
- Use a pool cover to retain heat and install an efficient filtration pump.
- Use solar heating for the water.
- Install the minimal amount of lighting.